Text Coming Soon!
The Painter Hill School was a one-room schoolhouse located on the south side of East Maitland Lane, just west of the intersection with Graceland Road. It was located in a rural area known as Painter Hill. It was closed with the Coaltown School in June 1925, but both were reopened due to overcrowding in September 1926. It seems at that time that the school became home to local 7th and 8th graders. The last trio of one-room schools in Neshannock Township, including the Painter Hill, Fairview, and Mitchell buildings, were closed for good in June 1942. Students were generally transferred to the consolidated schools of Clen-Moore or Walmo. A alumni reunion, often held in conjunction with the nearby Briar Hill School in Hickory Township, commenced in July 1934 and was held until the early 1960’s. The Painter Hill School was demolished in April 1946. The photo depicts students believed to be from the 1937-38 school term. (Photo courtesy of Deb G) (1937) Full Size