*** ONLINE AS OF AUGUST 5, 2011 ***
    



First United Brethren Church - Hickory Twnp PA

Text Coming Soon!


The First United Brethren Church was founded in New Castle in February 1940. Initial services, led by the Reverend Homer C. Price, were held at a location on the Eastbrook Road with only a handful of members. In the fall of 1940 the former Swedish Lutheran Church (shown above) on North Crawford Street in Croton was purchased to become the congregation’s new home. The congregation thrived and the building was completely renovated, enlarged, and rededicated in 1959. Fundraising for a new church began in 1970 and a lot was soon purchased along the Eastbrook Road in Hickory Township. (c1965)


A groundbreaking ceremony at the Eastbrook Road site was held on Sunday, October 1, 1972. Construction began soon after and the new house of worship (shown above) was completed by the coming summer. The first service at the First United Brethren Church on the Eastbrook Road was held on Sunday, June 17, 1973. It was presided over by the Reverend Elwin Gee, who served as pastor of the church from 1964-1979. A week later the church was dedicated during a service held on Sunday, June 23, and attended by the Bishop George E. Weaver of Huntington, Indiana. The old church on Crawford Avenue was put up for sale. (Feb 2016)


(Feb 2016)


(Feb 2016)


(Feb 2016)


(Feb 2016)


(Feb 2016)


(Feb 2016)


(Feb 2016)

---

Comment