The Chewton Volunteer Fire Department was organized in August 1942 by local members of the community. It wasn’t until about 1948 that the unit purchased its first fire truck, which it operated out of a small garage on Oswald Street. L. Darl “Skinny” Allen (1900-1987), a charter member of the department who worked at Medusa Cement, became the Fire Chief in 1948 and served it that capacity for the next three decades. In 1961 the department, having outgrown its old station, began leasing one of the old Chewton School buildings. The Ladies Auxiliary began fundraising efforts with dinners and bake sales, and particularly became popular for its homemade pizzas. The new fire hall (shown above) opened in early 1967, and years later a modern addition was completed to enlarge it. The department has always been closely associated with the Wayne Township Fire Department and mutually supports the nearby communities including those of Wampum, Ellwood City, Perry Township, and North Sewickley Township.
The photo depicts a 1971 Ford F-500 Pumper. (1993)