Text Coming Soon!
In the early 1950’s overcrowding in the various small schools of Neshannock Township was a serious problem and most of the older students were forced to attend classes in New Castle. It was soon decided to build two new modern schools on property acquired along Mitchell Road. The new Neshannock Memorial (Elementary) School was opened in September 1956, although it was initially used as a junior high school. At the same time plans were being formalized for a new high school to be built right next door. In September 1959 the $2.1 million Neshannock Junior-Senior High School (shown above) was officially opened for classes for students in grades 7-12. It is believed this was first time 12th graders had attended formal classes in the township. The school was formally dedicated during a ceremony and open house held on Saturday, December 5, 1959. (c2011) Full Size
The front of the high school. (1963)
The biology class taught by John Peterson, a graduate of Penn State University. (1963)
Senior class officers from the 1963-64 school year. (1963)
Neshannock High cheerleaders from the 1963-64 school year were led by captain Linda McCann. (1963)
The Lancers varsity football team from late 1963 were led by head coach Francis Paolone. The squad started out 1-4, but rebounded to finish with a record of 5-5. (1963) Full Size
Another view of the front of the high school. (1967)