*** ONLINE AS OF AUGUST 5, 2011 ***
    



Camp Elliott (Girl Scouts Camp) - Wilmington Twnp PA

Text Coming Soon!


In 1953 civic leader Jack Gerson took out an option on the 17-acre McCracken property along the Neshannock Creek south of Volant. The property was officially acquired by the “Girl Scouts of the New Castle Area” council in late October 1953. The plan, dreamed of for well over twenty years, was to transform the site into a first class campground for all local Girl Scouts. Shown below are the people who played a huge role in acquiring the property. From left its Ruth Forsyth and A. Bates Butler – the dedicated leadership of New Castle’s Girl Scouts, Reuben Elliott receiving the deed from a very tall S. Glenn McCracken, and then Hazel Elliott and Jack Gerson. (New Castle News photo) (Oct 1953)


The original property contained 17 acres and a large stone cottage. Work on the camp began in April 1954. The cottage was greatly expanded, a tent site was erected, and several recreation areas were built. The first Girl Scouts occupied the camp in July 1954. An official dedication ceremony was held on Sunday, September 19, 1954. The camp, where a swimming pool was opened in the summer of 1955, could initially house only thirty girls and before too long more room was needed. (c1960)


In October 1956, after purchasing an adjoining 85-acre plot (with access to the Neshannock Creek), Reuben Elliott and his wife Hazel donated it to the Girl Scouts. It was after this generous donation that the site was christened as “Camp Elliott.” The property was greatly improved with large bungalows (shown above) and before long over 2,000 girls were spending their summers there attending day camps or resident camps. (c1960)



The main campsite area of Camp Elliott. (c2014)

---

Comment