*** ONLINE AS OF AUGUST 5, 2011 ***
    



Beaver Clay Manufacturing Company - New Galilee PA

Text Coming Soon!


The Beaver Clay Manufacturing Company, taking advantage of the extensive deposits of superior clay in Beaver County, was established in New Galilee in 1902. A plant was erected on the southern edge of the village and along the Pittsburgh, Fort Wayne, and Chicago Railway (PFW&C) – also known as the “Fort Wayne Line” of the Pennsylvania Railroad. The facility initially manufactured paving bricks, but later expanded to also produce an array of face bricks. The company experienced much success and major additions were added to the plant in 1916 and 1919-1920. The company was acquired by the New Castle Refractories Company in 1936, which used the New Galilee facility to produce “hot tops” for the steel-making industry. The plant was operated at least into the 1970’s. (c1920)


Today the former site of the Beaver Clay Manufacturing Company in New Galilee is occupied by E. J. Bognar Inc., which supplies carbon products to the steel industry. (c2014)

---

Comment