*** ONLINE AS OF AUGUST 5, 2011 ***
    



Calvary Independent Church - New Castle PA

Text Coming Soon!


In early 1938 the Reverend Raymond J. Fredericks, a longtime Presbyterian minister, broke away and founded the non-denominational Calvary Gospel Tabernacle – and a house of worship was opened on Vogan Street in December 1938. Fredericks was succeeded in 1946 by the Reverend Howard V. Sartell, who served the congregation for the next 37 years. In January 1955 the name of the congregation was changed to the Calvary Independent Church. In May 1956 the congregation purchased the former Wyatt B. Campbell Funeral Home (shown above) on East Moody Avenue. They relocated there three months later after selling the old church. (c1940) Full Size


The old mansion (on left) was formerly the residence of prominent real estate broker and civic leader Thomas F. Morehead (1863-1938). Wyatt B. Campbell, a longtime local undertaker, had acquired the home in 1942 for use as funeral home. Campbell died in 1951 and his widow Nellie resided there until she died in early 1956. Soon after this the Calvary Independent Church purchased the property. A major addition (seen on right), which included a large sanctuary, was dedicated on August 3, 1958. The church flourished in the coming decades and is still in service today. (Jul 2013) Full Size


(Jul 2013)


(Jul 2013)


(Jul 2013)


(Jul 2013)


(Jul 2013)


(Jul 2013)


(Jul 2013) Full Size

---

Comment