*** ONLINE AS OF AUGUST 5, 2011 ***
    



Stritmater Brothers Store - New Castle PA

Text Coming Soon!


William A. Stritmater (1841-1921), a Civil War veteran born near Ellwood City, got involved in the dry goods business in New Castle and became a partner in Henderson & Company. William, who was assisted by brothers Joseph and James and partner W. A. Johnson, soon took over the company and renamed it as Stritmater Brothers & Johnson in about 1869. (c1920)


The company soon became known simply as Stritmater Brothers and became very successful. Stritmater conducted business at several locations until he opened this prominent building on E. Washington Street in late October 1882. The business flourished for many years until it was closed when William Stritmater passed away in 1921. (c1890)


An advertisement for the Stritmater Brothers store in New Castle. (Jul 1895)


(Mar 1906) Full Size


Full Size



In early 1922 the building was sold by the Stritmater family and became the new home of the Higgins Brothers dry goods business. That company went bankrupt in 1932 during the Great Depression. The building became home to Autenreith’s Dollar Store in December 1933 and served in that capacity until the early 1960’s. Various small businesses occupied the building in the coming years. Since late 2007 the building, greatly renovated, has been home to Lanigan’s Irish Pub. (Jul 2013)

---

Comment